Friday, March 11, 2011

Proper Introductions

Looking back at my inaugural post, I see that there is something seriously lacking. Something that would make for a better, perhaps more palatable way of bringing people to the fold. Something painfully obvious that we all need when starting a new venture:

An introduction.

In that case, let this serve as my introduction, and my first post as but the prologue to my foray into the world of blogging.

My name is Chris, and I am a writer. At least, I am in the sense that I spend every waking moment either thinking about the characters, plots, and little details that take up residence in the free spaces of my mind, or transcribing them onto paper or word documents. Over the course of my life, I've wanted to be a scientist, a game designer, a member of the United States Marine Corps, and a teacher. But all through those ambitions, I have always had a pencil or pen in one hand and a stack of paper in the other. At the age of eight, I was influenced by a steady diet of Disney cartoons, Transformers, sci fi, and other things that we generally loved as children, and wrote my own series about a group of superheroes. It was around this time that I also wrote my first ever serious piece: a romantic Power Rangers fan fiction, which I rewrote at least four or five times. Without knowing it, I was introducing myself not only to the concept of fan fiction, but also the process of outlining, plotting, editing and rewriting. Although it would be years before I would properly, seriously write, my desire to tell stories never waned, especially when I took on other influences.

As I grew and matured, so did my influences and interest in the subjects of history and fantasy. At the age of twelve, I began writing my own fantasy series called Cinina, which was heavily based off my love of the medieval period. Over the next ten years I would constantly rebuild and reform the concepts of Cinina without truly writing more than a few words about it. It was not until my days as a student teacher for a history class that, at the behest of a friend, that I would create Ghosts of Eternity: a roleplaying game that would evolve from a simple adventure game with some friends into a serious piece that has become more focused and organized than anything I've ever written before. As I write this post, I'm still hard at work writing what I hope to be the first installment of the first of several series.

In addition to fantasy, I still retain a passion for science fiction and zombies, which are two subjects I love incorporating into my worlds.

So now we come to the reason that I have emerged out of my shell and into the world of the internet, and what you can expect from this blog as time goes on. By no means do I intend to strictly adhere to a set guideline, as interests and desires are as fluid as the currents of time that move us along. As the title suggests, this blog is about a mind set within two worlds: one of the tangible, and one of the imagination and subconscious. At times, my focus will be on one, at times, there will be offerings from the other. And even other times then there may be a slight blurring of the two. I'll be experimenting with short fiction, excerpts of long fiction, perhaps the occasional poem and even the rare script page if I'm feeling ambitious. As much as I love writing, I am still new and constantly learning the process. The art of writing is as varied and beautiful as any other median, and I intend to explore them all.

At times I will be funny. I will most definitely be serious, and I would hope to occasionally be thought-provoking. Try as I might to avoid it, I may in the future travel down the paths of the personal, as we become more familiar with one another. For now, we shall see where our journey takes us, and make the proper adjustments to the GPS as necessary.

For now, as I said in my prologue, let us take this path together. I welcome all who wish to follow, and I wish all of you the best in achieving your own goals, regardless of what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment